Mission: BWDA aims to provide safe drinking water and sanitation facilities to poor communities by providing credit and awareness
Goal: To reach 20,000 members for water and sanitation loan to receive safe drinking water connections & hygienic sanitation in five years
B-Wash project focuses on promotion of water, sanitation and hygiene awareness and credit facilitation for safe drinking water connections and construction of hygienic toilets. BWDA implements B-Wash in partnership with Water.org. The project covers a population of 952,664,164 in Villupuram, Cuddalore districts in Tamil Nadu and the union territory of Pondicherry and benefits 20,000 families and 5,000 clients. The objectives of the project are:
- Recharging local water sources & motivating judicious usage of drinking water through awareness and rain water harvesting
- Establishing quality tested additional water supply sources, connections along with 20,000 water loans for household water purification like water purifiers & R.O purifiers etc.
- Facilitating 5,000 loans to construct hygienic toilets with good water facility
BWDA conducts local assessments and baselines, mobilises the community, facilitates health, hygiene and environmental education, facilitates development of water and sanitation infrastructure and develops water credit products for the needy. Water.org offers financial and technical assistance, project guidance and monitoring.
Total Sanitation Programmes (TSP)
BWDA facilitated implementation of Total sanitation Programmes which focussed on creating awareness on personal hygiene and promoting community and individual sanitation. BWDA executed the following tasks under this project:
- Total Sanitation Awareness: Surveyed 4770 households in 12 villages of Pudhucherry State.
- Total Rural Sanitation Programme (TRSP): Implemented the programme for 2200 households, 100 Anganwadis, 100 Schools, and 6 women sanitation complexes in Panruti, Annagramam Blocks of Cuddalore District.
- DRDA supported baseline survey: BWDA surveyed 6934 households in 48 panchayats of Koliyanur block and 22,981 houses in 47 panchayats of Mailam block, to identify the people willing to construct household toilets under TSP programme in Villupuram District.
- BWDA conducted the ‘Swajaldhara’ Sanitation Survey under the ‘Total Sanitation Campaign’ programme of Govt. of India, supported by ISDM, Ahmedabad in 7 districts of Tamilnadu. The house-holds, village and panchayat leaders, students and teachers were surveyed.