BWDA strives to lead economically underprivileged students into the realm of education and develop an equitable environment that fosters exemplary intellectual growth, thereby using education as a tool for poverty alleviation.
“A poverty free equitable society through educational inclusion/access to quality education for all”
- Provide quality education that is affordable and removes disparity in access to education
- Provide equal opportunities to rural children and youth for all-round development
- Provide opportunities through scholarships and concessions for marginalized students to access quality education
- Nurture the talent and creativity of our students and train them to apply their novelty and acquired knowledge to solve real world problems
- Produce highly competent, disciplined students in line with global standards capable of responding to changing scenarios and needs
- Instil a strong value system and inculcate virtues of endurance, empathy, patriotism, integrity, honesty, compassion and parental love
- Inculcate good behaviour and etiquette in them to keep their spirits alive despite mechanization
- Various initiatives and programmes have been conducted by BWDA since its inception to create awareness about education and to educate underprivileged children of SHG members, bullock cart workers and labourers.
BWDA Arts & Science College
BWDA Arts and Science College was started in June 2008 to address the disparity in access to educational facilities for the poor and lead the marginalized towards intellectual prosperity and thereby empower them. Our college seeks to provide educational inclusion for the downtrodden, marginal labourers, illiterate agricultural coolies and poor people from most backward communities who aspire higher education for their children. BWDA Arts & Science College seeks to develop an equitable environment that fosters exemplary intellectual growth and amplify BWDA’s vision of a poverty free equitable society by using education as a tool for poverty alleviation.
BWDA Arts & Science College is affiliated to Thiruvalluvar University and offers nine undergraduate courses and six postgraduate courses. The College is located in a quiet campus at Kolliyangunam, Mailam in Villupuram district. The college offers B.A. English, B.Com, B.C.A. BBA, B.Sc. Physics, B.Sc. Chemistry, B.Sc. Mathematics, B.Sc. Computer Science, B.A.Economic, M.S.W and M.Sc Chemistry, M.Sc Maths and M.Com. During academic year 2015-16 BWDA three new courses, namely Commerce with CA and M.Phil. in English and Commerce will be offered. The College has well appointed buildings of approx. 100,000 sq. and a well furnished girls hostel of 12,235 sq.. On campus canteen and store cater to the needs of the students.
The College offers excellent IT enabled infrastructure that includes modern laboratories, communications lab, virtual learning systems, well-equipped library, classrooms and conference halls. The college provides quality education at nominal fees, encourages the marginalized students to study with fee concessions and scholarships. The children of SHG members and bullock cart workers get 25% college fee (if they scored 800 marks out of 1200 marks) and 50% hostel fee concessions. As majority of the students are very poor, they are unable to bring lunch. To address this, we have arranged for ‘Mid day Meal’ by collecting Rs.10/- per head per day. BWDA Arts & Science College nurtures the talent and creativity of students and trains them to commendably apply their novelty and acquired knowledge to solve real world problems, thus augmenting their aptitude to perform in a competitive and challenging environment.
The fresher’s day was celebrated on 11.07.2014 and students participated in the celebrations with their parents. Guest lecturers were conducted for the welfare of the students. Annual day and Sports day were celebrated on 27.03.2015 in a grand manner. The Second Convocation was conducted on 29.05.2015 and was presided by Dr.M.Jayakumar, the Vice Chancellor of Thiruvalluvar University, 319 of our students excelled in the examinations and 8 students were declared as University rank holders.